As I promised last week, it will be my monthly task to present a Top 25 list of Draft Prospects for 2023 this Fall. So let’s start with my first one as a pre-season August edition.
- WILL ANDERSON LB/ER Alabama Has it all at a sexy position in NFL eyes.
- C.J. STROUD QB Ohio State Lost Olave & Wilson to NFL, but won’t miss a beat.
- BRYCE YOUNG QB Alabama Defending Heisman winner, may not have the size NFL would like, but is a superb athlete with an accurate, strong arm.
- JALEN CARTER DT Georgia True interior DL prospect, who could rise to the top ala ex-teammate WALKER last season.
- JAXON SMITH-NJIGBA WR Ohio State Has come through like a star early in his career, just like Olave before him.
- BRYAN BRESEE* DL Clemson Only reason you may not see him this high from everyone is because he missed most of last season to injury. If healthy, he will rise to the Top 10 by April.
- BIJAN ROBINSON* RB Texas Reminds me of a guy who romped thru the Southeast Conference & NFL Defenses for a decade: Eric Dickerson.
- MYLES MURPHY DE Clemson Murphy was an instant starter as a Frosh. He needs a big season to avoid comparisons to Clelin Ferrell who is a pro back-up.
- MICHAEL MAYER TE Notre Dame Full sized inline TE, who catches and blocks with the best. Not a home-run threat, but can move the sticks.
- ELI RICKS* CB Alabama To some extent this guy’s collegiate resume’ looks a lot like a guy named Stingley. The ‘Bama secondary is loaded. If he excels in it, he’s CB-1.
- KAYSHON BOUTTE* WR LSU Not the next CHASE from LSU, but a very productive and explosive receiver. Had 9 TD catches, on 38 receptions B4 a leg injury in mid-season.
- TYLER VAN DYKE QB Miami (F) Physical presence who starred after taking over as starter early last season. Athletic for his size, with a strong arm.
- NOLAN SMITH OB Georgia Posted some big numbers last season and will be called upon to step up even more in 2022. Assuming he does, this is not too high to rank him.
- PETE SKORONSKI OT Northwestern
- PARIS JOHNSON OT Ohio State
- QUENTIN JOHNSTON WR TCU
- JOEY PORTER CB Penn State
- BRANDON JOSEPH S Notre Dame
- SIAKI IKA NT Baylor
- JORDAN ADDISON WR Southern Cal
- KELEE RINGO CB Georgia
- NOAH SEWELL ILB Oregon
- B.J. OJULARI OB/ER LSU
- MALACHI MOORE S Alabama
- TRENTON SIMPSON LB Clemson
We are coming off a talent laden 2022 Draft, which means even some of these top players will need to prove their value with big seasons for the 2023 Draft. Players with a * after their name are coming off of significant injuries from last season.
You might have noticed that I have 3 QB’s in this Top 25, whereas only one QB went in all of Round 1 this past April. I would not be shocked if somewhere between No. 26-31 we see a 4th QB making a strong First Round bid next April.
Remember, there will only be 31 first rounders next April due to the Dolphins forfeiting a first round pick as a penalty for free agent tampering by Owner Stephen Ross.