I have been a bit wary of selecting the top teams for this list, primarily because of my concerns regarding transfer portal, NIL and team conference jumping. No doubt these factors will all come into play this football season, but chances are it will be even more of a concern in 2024. So let’s go with the old standard of the best coaches, with the most talent will dominate the college football landscape.
- GEORGIA The team looks to be talent loaded once again. New QB in play here, but why would we be worried about the pedigree of CARSON BECK. The cupboard looks full to me, so let’s stick with the reigning champ. Combine 54 lettermen, and a Top 5 recruiting class, should return Coach KIRBY to the Play-Offs once again.
- OHIO STATE The Buckeyes also have holes to fill, but they also have a Top 5 recruiting class coming in to fill out their roster. They return 41 lettermen, including 14 starters.
- CLEMSON DABO may have his most talented roster in recent memory. And there is no reason to believe that QB CADE KLUBNIK won’t be improved for this season.
- MICHIGAN The roster is well stocked and the schedule is in their favor most weekends. I don’t think the Harbaugh suspension drama is going to affect them much. If CORUM looks fully healthy they will run opponents defense into the ground with their 2-deep OL talent. They return 86 lettermen!
- WASHINGTON This is my top surprise pick, but they lost next to nothing off last year’s roster, and Michael Penix should be poised to exceed his 2022 stats and leadership.
- SOUTHERN CAL So you take an 11-Win team, with their Heisman QB CALEB WILLIAMS back and stir in a Top 10 recruiting group, and it should make them a strong Play-Off team possibility.
- ALABAMA To listen to some folks talk you’d think this team was 2-10 last season, not 11-2. They indeed have a lot of holes to plug, but they arguably had the top recruiting class in the country. SABAN is not washed up yet folks.
- FLORIDA STATE It still amazes me how quickly Mike Norvell has retooled this roster. They have 48 lettermen back, including 17 starters. QB JORDAN TRAVIS will have plenty of weapons to work with, and the D has some big time playmakers.
- TEXAS If QB QUINN EWERS has improved as much as we have been led to believe they may be able to overcome the loss of BIJAN ROBINSON with an improved passing attack. They are credited with a Top 3 recruiting class to blend in with 16 returning starters. The Longhorns are back folks.
- PENN STATE This is arguably James Franklin’s most talented team, in this his 10th season in Happy Valley. The big key will be QB DREW ALLAR, who learned a lot backing up SEAN CLIFFORD last season. And he is a superior athlete to boot. They should be a well balanced Offense this year.
- NOTRE DAME
- TEXAS A&M
That’s it for now folks. I would be willing to bet that there may be some major changes in this list by the time October rolls around.