Week 11 was pretty quiet at the top of the rankings, but to me once out of the Top 10 there was significant upheaval. With only two full weeks left for most teams in FBS action, everyone should be on the alert for a few upsets, and watching your favorite players in the Heisman race.
1) ALABAMA 10-0 Other than the banged up QB situation not much to watch here this week, but the Iron Bowl is on the horizon. Their D is dominant once again.
2) CLEMSON 10-0 In reality I should probably rank this team as 1A rather than 2. Unless TUA somehow gets back to full health in the next month-plus, DABO’s boys could be primed to wrench that Championship Trophy away from the Crimson Tide.
3) NOTRE DAME 10-0 FSU’s speed looked a bit challenging to the Fighting Irish last weekend, but in the end the Irish size and power running took over the contest. But with an objective eye on the situation Notre Dame has got to get IAN BOOK/QB back and healthy to present any kind of serious threat for a Championship run.
4) MICHIGAN 9-1 This team is clicking on all cylinders right now. They have allowed 7 points in each of their last 3 games. This could be the year that Coach Harbaugh finally topples the Buckeyes to end the regular season.
5) GEORGIA 9-1 Most of the Bulldog players who were unproven starters at the beginning of the season are now seasoned vets and looking like it. If they can get most everyone healthy by the SEC Championship game, then ‘Bama better watch out.
6) OKLAHOMA 9-1 Their Defense looks like a punching bag a lot of the time right now. But what an Offense. Clemson is the only team above them that shows enough Offense to win a big game shoot-out against the Sooners. For my money I would luv to see ALABAMA/OKLAHOMA tee it up at some point.
7) WEST VIRGINIA 8-1 WILL GREIR, with HC Dana Holgorsen whispering in his ear, leads a weapon packed Offense and the D is sneaky good. But history says this team will get whipped by Oklahoma in the final game, even though it’s in Morgantown.
8) OHIO STATE 9-1 They almost lead the country in quality athletes, but they are lucky to only be a one-loss team the way they have played much of this season. They can be dangerous, but…
9) LSU 8-2 I respect the job Coach O has done down in Bayou country, but the reality is he has a popgun Offense in an era where top teams pump out 50+ points every other weekend. It’s a recipe for disaster even with their great Defense.
10) UCF 9-0 They are stubbing their toe a bit lately because their QB MILTON is not 100%. But they have the longest winning streak in D-1 football. Big time AAC showdown as they host 9-1 Cincinnati this coming weekend. This one is worth watching come Saturday night prime time.
11) UTAH STATE 9-1 They lost their opener @ MICHIGAN STATE by a TD. Since then they have put up over 50-points, 6 times. They are well balanced on both sides of the ball. In two weeks they finish the regular season with a big showdown with Boise State.
12) SYRACUSE 8-2 I wanted to get the Orangemen in here for their surprisingly strong run to that 8-2 record. Quite a job by HC DINO BABERS in bringing the ‘Cuse football program back from the dead. QB ERIC DUNGEY plays a lot like a guy named TEBOW used to at Florida. But they finish up with Notre Dame and BC.
13) CINCINNATI 9-1 They were upset by an underrated Temple team two weeks ago, but bounced back to beat USF, and will square off this weekend with unbeaten UCF. Great season so far for the Fighting Fickells.
14) BOISE STATE 8-2 Even my editor questioned my sanity for putting Boise in my Top 15 last week. They are a good team, and QB RYPIEN may be the best NFL QB in next year’s Draft if HERBERT stays in school.
15) BUFFALO 9-1 Tip of the hat to another resurgent program under HC LANCE LEIPOLD, who led WIS-Whitewater to multiple D-3 Championship games. He has recruited well, and QB TYREE JACKSON #3 (JR) is worth watching. At 6’7, JACKSON. reminds me a lot of BYRON LEFTWICH. Their only loss so far was against ARMY.
And speaking of ARMY, as we celebrate Veterans Day on this national holiday, how about three cheers for the Black Knights of the Hudson. Their football program was pretty much a joke over the past two decades (maybe more) but HC JEFF MONKEN seems to be the perfect leader for this service academy. The team went 10-3 last season, and sits at 8-2 this season. Congrats Brave Old Army Team! My Dad Roland, WW II Pacific theatre, would be proud to watch you play these days!